Digs have come together to campaign for a better deal for people renting in Hackney and beyond. We’re a private renter information, support and campaign group, run by Hackney renters, for Hackney renters.
Right now too many renters are facing:
- HUGE rent increases
- Rip-off letting agent fees
- Poor quality housing
- Housing benefit shortfalls
- Bad treatment from landlords and letting agents
- Building a grass roots movement of renters calling for change
- Running information workshops for Hackney renters
- Giving mutual support to renters like us
- Training ‘Tenant champions’ across Hackney
- Creating an online platform of support
- Supporting other renters to set up groups in their own communities
1. The Market | That everyone have access to good, affordable housing that meets their needs.
2. Security of Tenure | Everyone has access to long term, secure homes
3. Landlord/ letting agent relations | Letting agents and landlords are regulated independently and tenants have accessible, effective mechanisms to enforce their rights. People are treated equally and with respect and honesty by landlords and agents who understand and fulfil their legal obligations. Renters always have accountability, transparency and recourse mechanisms to enforce their rights without penalisation.
4. Housing Standards | All rented homes are of a good standard and meet renters’ needs. Renters always have accountability, transparency and recourse to accessible, effective mechanisms to enforce their rights without penalisation.
Who do we support?
Digs support anyone who is renting privately in Hackney or who is homeless or insecurely housed and trying to find a home in Hackney’s private rented sector.
Digs has a monthly support group which meets on the last monday of every month, 7pm at Kingshold Community Centre, 49 Ainsworth Road E9 7JE. The support group is a space for people who are having current housing issues, those who want to see a change in the current system and digs members with a good knowledge of tenants rights to get together, chat, listen and support each other.
Get in touch
Email | email@example.com
Twitter | twitter.com/Hackney_renters
Facebook | facebook.com/digs.hackneyrenters
Become a member